Sunday, May 22, 2016

Where's Your Rope?

He granted me a private session in which he wisely tugged on an imaginary rope that would eventually guide me out of the self-made quicksand. ~ Voices of Recovery (Kindle Locations 1610-1611).
Please, please, please, release me
from all the self-made quicksand!
I'll pull the rope myself. Just show me!
But sometimes I can't rescue myself,
occasionally I've sunk so deeply
there's no way out, not by myself.
It's imaginary, so why not? Because it's me.
Because I dug the pit, supplied the quicksand,
knew it was there, and plopped myself into it.
Who can see the rope? Someone who's been there,
someone who once dug their own pit,
who escaped, who has moved far enough away
to see clearly. A sponsor. A counselor.
Even someone writing literature, speaking,
sharing in a meeting. We can find the rope,
we have nine tools, and the rope can be any one:
meetings, sponsorship, service, literature,
a plan of eating, an action plan, the telephone,
writing, and even anonymity. Grab hold of tools.
Your quicksand is endangered when you do.
quicksand

No comments:

Post a Comment