Wednesday, December 19, 2018

No Need to Submit

But, there’s a difference between submission and surrender. When we submit, we give in to a force that’s trying to control us. When we surrender, we let go of our need to control. Step Three asks us to surrender, not submit.
 Covington, Stephanie S. A Woman’s Way through the Twelve Steps (p. 48). Hazelden Publishing. Kindle Edition.


Submission feels like allowing
aggressive control of my world,
of my mind, of my reality.
Those of us with tendencies
toward lack of self esteem
may fear submission as yielding
to aggressive dominance.
I choose to opt out!
Submission was described
by an early friend of A.A.*
as consciously accepting
but not unconsciously. 
The subconscious sense is, 
“There’ll come a day…”
The struggle continues. 
Surrender, though,
is acceptance on the unconscious level
without a residual battle. 
Surrender yields relaxation 
and freedom from strain and conflict. 
I’ll take that gladly!
I surrender all
I surrender all
All to Thee my blessed Savior
I surrender all**
*  Dr Harry M. Tiebout
** I Surrender All lyrics © Warner/
Chappell Music, Inc, Universal 
Music Publishing Group


No comments:

Post a Comment