Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Learning to Pray

May I begin to feel prayer, not just listen to the sound of my own verbalizing. May I feel the sharp outlines of my humanness fading as His Godliness becomes a part of me. May I feel that I am one with Him.
Anonymous. A Day at a Time: Daily Reflections for Recovering People (Hazelden Meditations) . Hazelden Publishing. Kindle Edition.

I like better Jesus' answer to the apostles
in the sixth chapter of Matthew.
First some exclusions, how not to,
don't show off your holiness,
no public displays. Just you and God.
No babbling, repetition for lengthy prayers.
He laid it out, six dozen words.
Admonitions to look good,
no martyrdom acting, back to
prohibition of putting on impressive shows.
That hard part was slipped in, though...
forgive everyone else,
or the forgiveness you want,
God will withhold.
Luke's account is similar,
half the words, then no instruction to love
but a description of how it looks.
But canned prayers are useful,
a good start, but no room left
for God's response.
I figure God gets plenty of chances
to speak to me through my reading
from 18 devotional/Recovery books a day
and passages to read the Bible each year...
But to talk to me, not just nodding assent
when I ask that he bless people?
I get involved in getting deep breathing right
and saying "OMM" doesn't leave
listening time. I guess all I can say is,
"Lord, teach me to pray...including listening."


No comments:

Post a Comment