Sunday, December 16, 2018

Dancing Step Three

...turning our will over is like dancing with a partner. If both try to lead, there is much confusion and little forward movement. As one who has taught many couples how to dance, I know the awkwardness and bucking that result when both partners compete for control. But when the partner who is following can relax and let the other partner do the steering, the couple flows easily across the dance floor.
Family Groups, Al-Anon. Courage to Change—One Day at a Time in Al‑Anon II . Al-Anon Family Groups. Kindle Edition.

I've never considered teaching dancing.
I danced to five songs or fewer
with my now husband in the late 1960's,
and I think neither of us knew how.
My next experience was when my older son,
soon to be 28, diligently worked on preparing me
to dance with him at his wedding reception.
He managed to make it a believable effort
but the awkwardness, buckling the result,
took his patience and experience to remedy.
I do believe I'm much more comfortable
in the Step Three equivalent relaxing
and let the Real Power do the steering.
I'm no better at that than I am dancing.





No comments:

Post a Comment