Saturday, December 17, 2022

I Am an Addict

I am an addict whether I want to be or not. I am an addict whether I work program or not, whether I am abstinent or not, and whether I am in recovery or not. I can be an addict in recovery, or I can be an addict in hell. I choose to be an addict in recovery. Once I broke through the denial, I had nothing left but the truth. ~ Overeaters Anonymous. Taste of Lifeline. Overeaters Anonymous, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
I am an Addict. Fifteen years ago, December 17, 2007, I stopped at a convenience store named Skinny's...yes, really! You can't make these facts up! It was a Sunday morning and and my pattern on Sundays on my way to teach Sunday School was to stop there (different places served the purpose weekdays!) I got back in the car with a cappuccino and sweet rolland announced aloud to God, "This Is Stupid" Earlier that month Psychotherapist Peggy Martin had given me the book Overeaters Anonymous, 2d edition. I had read it and knew I belonged there but who starts a "diet" a week before Christmas Eve? Well, I did! And I was right. I belonged in OA then and I belong there now! It's been a wild ride, and sometimes I've clung on while not complying, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Do you belong too? Welcome to OA! Welcome home!! I can be an addict in recovery, or I can be an addict in hell. I choose to be an addict in recovery. Once I broke through the denial, I had nothing left but the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment