Thursday, May 11, 2017

Pretentions Becoming Real

Knowing that I could become the person I pretended to be filled me with peace. I no longer have to try to be “good.” God does it for me. ~ Voices of Recovery (Kindle Locations 1999-2000). 
Pretension is what you're guilty of
when you boorishly try to impress other people
with how important or clever you are.
When you speak with pretension,
you're boastful and you puff yourself up
as someone very important or of great worth.
If you have literary pretentions,
you mostly likely think you're a great writer,
but you most likely are not. [vocabulary.com]
A little girl, I pretended I was a princess
and could fly. When my sister Carol
and neighbor Linda Kay played dolls,
I took the hunter/gatherer role.
As I grew older I wanted to be a popular socialite
like sister Mary Ellen, to wear clothes
not marked "husky," to run fast enough
to break the Red Rover line, to know names
of people who knew mine. I pretended to be real,
knew it was not true. Finally I found Recovery,
learned to act as if, found promises coming true,
started to find pretend and real could merge,
I could be who I wanted to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment