Friday, May 12, 2017

Giving Up

...it is not enough to want to be rid of the unpleasant side effects of my illness. I need to be willing to give up that which attracts me in the first place: the gratification, sedation or whatever other payoff I get for practicing my compulsion. ~ For Today (Kindle Locations 1302-1304).
What are you willing to give up for Recovery?
Certainly those things that made you say
when you first entered the rooms,
"I admit I am powerless over food —
that my life has become unmanageable."
Are you also willing to give up your doubts
there is a power greater than you
or the limits you've placed on God as to
what you'll allow in His purview?
Are you willing to give your life and your will
to your Higher Power? Are you willing
to make a fearless and searching moral inventory
and admit it all to yourself, God and a person?
Can you give up your character defects?
What about your pride as you admit your wrongs
to those you hurt most?
Will you give up the payoff you once got
from your compulsion? Time for daily prayer and
meditation, reading program literature,
writing, phone calls, holding service positions,
sponsoring, being sponsored? What about
a food plan, a plan of action? Honoring anonymity?
Are you willing to give up things that matter to you
or only the inconveniences?


No comments:

Post a Comment