Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Laughing at Me

I’ve tried laughing at myself and I like it. ~ For Today (Kindle Locations 417-418).
I hung back, a wallflower,
hiding in the open,
hoping you wouldn't see me
unless you wanted to praise,
to build up, to boost me.
I shut my mouth, watched,
listened, hoped to blend
with curtains, to be innate.
If I should speak, would I blurt
some stupidity, some evidence
of ineptitude? Please,
don't notice me.
Then people pulled me in
by loving me, accepting me,
wanting to hear me no matter what.
I dared to tender tendrils,
to sprout new growth,
to try new things,
and you loved me, accepted me,
wanted more. My heart melted
and I took root, dared speak,
risk, live. And you loved me.
And little by slow
I loved me, accepted me,
dared more. Until I learned
to let you laugh, to clown,
to dare. I learned to laugh
at me.
294030_2361924851312_8281275_n

No comments:

Post a Comment