Saturday, November 5, 2011

Unexpected

"I have learned that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse." ~ Philip Yancey
She said I didn't have to believe,
I didn't have to expect results,
I didn't have to be real, I could
act as if. As if there were a God,
as if some ethereal being some millions
of years old gave a rat's patootie about me,
as if I were serious. I should get down
on my knees, just say out loud
what I thought, even if it was rude,
even if it was my disbelief. Just say
in the morning, "Have it your way,"
then in the evening say, "Thanks"
even if, "Thanks for a lousy day!"
I figured the sooner I went through
the stupid routine, the quicker I proved
it didn't work, the sooner she'd quit,
let me alone, move on to the next sucker.
A week was enough.
And I just about made seven days
before it stopped being pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment