Monday, January 2, 2023

Who DoYou Want to Be?

Now willing to listen and take suggestions, I have found that the process of discovering who I really am begins with knowing who I really don’t want to be. And although the disease of alcoholism inside of me is like gravity, just waiting to pull me down, A.A. and the Twelve Steps are like the power that causes an airplane to become airborne: It only works when the pilot is doing the right things to make it work. ~ Inc, A.A. World Services. Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition (p. 241). A.A. World Services, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
I've drunk alcohol fewer than a hundred times ever  but I identify completely with the alcoholic telling this story.  I certainly aver I have found that the process of discovering who I really am begins with knowing who I really don’t want to be. And although the disease of compulsively eating inside of me is like gravity, just waiting to pull me down, Overeaters Anonymous and the same Twelve Steps are like the power that causes an airplane to become airborne: It only works when the pilot is doing the right things to make it work. Who do YOU want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment