Sunday, January 22, 2023

Growth Is the Opposite of Control

There is struggle in the growth process; pride, ego and misused will stand in the way and must be overcome gradually, with understanding and compassion. Pain is always the teacher, but with each period of growth it becomes less acute. Growth is the opposite of control. ~ Anonymous, Overeaters. For Today (Kindle Location 1956). Overeaters Anonymous, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
Pain is always the teacher, but with each period of growth it becomes less acute. Growing up is not easy, no matter when it happens! We think of growing up as being completed in large part in the first eighteen years. As we move on from then we feel the need to be in control… but not just a need, an expectation! Pain especially in adult years remains the teacher, but it hurts! I believed if I didn’t grow up by my fortieth birthday, I wouldn’t! So I took control, made bold steps but continued to live in fear of being a fake grownup! I clung to control, tried to acquire more but fifteen years later secretly sought counseling to explain what was wrong with me. It was she who taught me pain is always the teacher, but with each period of growth it becomes less acute. And in Recovery I learned finally surrender, admitting powerlessness is the opposite of control! And surrender is how I choose to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment