Thursday, April 28, 2022

To Caesar

In Matthew 22, we read that a group of Pharisees confronted Jesus and asked for a yes or no answer on whether it was lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, the Roman emperor. Jesus responded by asking whose face was engraved on the coins used to pay the taxes. When they answered it was Caesar’s face, Jesus replied with the now-famous verse, “Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and to God the things that are God’s” (Matthew 22:21 NASB). The dreaded day...or the dreaded month! Anxiety rules when tax day approaches, at least at our house. For months we've collected the data in "the pink tub" ignoring the fact there are three stacked tubs... Tension rules the household, as husband queries why I gave that much to a charity, what it does, and such. Then he tells me to import my accounts and I figure it out again... after a few hours' effort. I write the check then he critiques my bank records and handwriting. And after his mulling it over a while I take it to the Post Office. Caesar gets his share, the nonprofits have theirs and peace again reigns but next April is already on its way!

No comments:

Post a Comment