Thursday, April 28, 2022

They Call the Role

The Aggies of Texas assemble each year by tens and by thousands in towns far and near. The twenty-first day of the fourth month they stand, solemn and somber, at sea or on land, while up at the rostrum a roll call begins, the roster of those who’ll not be there again, for each name they call is an Aggie who passed from this life since they read from the muster list last. But present in spirit, they stand nonetheless, Aggies forever, a brotherhood blessed. The voices now silenced will answer the call as brothers and sisters respond for them all. My father and son are Aggies. I’m not. Enrollment at muster will not be my lot. But still as a symbol of love muster stands a solid, fraternal mass joining of hands. And I have a Brother, creation’s first-born, who’ll answer for me when they sound judgment’s horn. My name will be called and his voice God will hear at muster call yonder I’ll surely be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment