Sunday, September 24, 2017

Confess Your Own Sins

Even A.A. oldtimers,...will tell how they tried to carry the load alone; how much they suffered of irritability, anxiety, remorse, and depression; and how, unconsciously seeking relief, they would sometimes accuse even their best friends of the very character defects they themselves were trying to conceal. They always discovered that relief never came by confessing the sins of other people. Everybody had to confess his own. ~ Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (p. 56). AA World Services, Inc. Kindle Edition.
It's so much easier to tell you what you're doing wrong,
to inventory my housemate's shortcomings,
but that list...not helping to change sheets
on his bed, for instance while I do his resenting the deed
and leave my own for week after week after week,
changing them only when company will sleep there.
He sits in the house,  his life defined by television,
and while that draws my censure, my phone
has alarms set to avoid missing Jeopardy.
I can critique his piles, but at least he has me
stack them neatly. My piles are heaps awaiting
that great time of setting the junk in order!
I have They always discovered that relief never comes
by confessing the sins of other people.
I must confess my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment