Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Measured by Measurements

who measured her by her measurements….
a life of boredom wrapped in a ball gown….
this life was too big to be bottled ~ June Rose Dowis
How often have I measured myself
and everyone around me
by my measurements, the tape measure,
the scale, the dress size?
Are those who look like I would choose to look
more praiseworthy, more lovable,
more to be envied? Do I look at a bulimic
or anorexic and, they having different manifestations,
consider them hale, well, to be emulated?
Decades ago my mother donated
the dress I was once-again going to wear,
and when I wore it life would be fine,
I would be beautiful, and in reaching that
brilliant, precocious, able-to-leap-tall-buildings
in a single bound...
How long will my life be bottled
in a body image I need not own?
tape-measure

No comments:

Post a Comment