Monday, February 6, 2012

Like Life


If you can, try to like life. Be good humored about your mortality. (William J. Bennett)
A theoretical pessimist, he says he is,
recommending we exercise practical optimism.
Is that doctor-of-philosophy talk for act as if?
Try to like life. Look on the sunny side.
Say with Paul, "I've learned to be content
no matter where I am." I guess theoretical
pessimism says the world will end, sooner, later;
I'll die, one day, maybe today, maybe not;
stuff – sometimes called excrement – happens.
Worry's a rocking chair, keeping you busy,
getting you nowhere. It gives small stuff
immense shadows. I can expect good results
as easy – easier – than bad. I can turn the pessimism,
the worry, over to God. He's going to be up
all night, anyway. What, me worry?
Not today. I'll like life.


No comments:

Post a Comment