Thursday, September 30, 2021

Releasing Myself from Captivity

Our thoughts hold our actions hostage. When we’re angry, we lash out at other people, often innocent bystanders. If we’re harboring self-pity, our sullenness punishes others. Resentments cling to us, tainting our relationships. In each case, our behavior reflects what’s on our minds. ~ Casey, Karen. A Life of My Own: Meditations on Hope and Acceptance (Hazelden Meditations Book 1) . Hazelden Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Is it really true?
Do out thoughts hold
our actions hostage?
If my thoughts are self-pitying,
my anger causes me to lash out
at innocent bystanders…
even dogs just being guilty of being dog-like?
Or someone who shares my life
when they critique me
for bringing cola
when they’d requested tea?
Do I harbor harboring self-pity
and sullenness while resentment simmers
inside me?
I keep reading that my behavior
reflects what’s on my mind,
not what happens around me.
God, I believe it. Please help my unbelief!

No comments:

Post a Comment