Thursday, September 23, 2021

Poverty or Service

“Being poor is not having too little, it is wanting more.” ~ Seneca
How often do you want something,
just think that would be nice
and turn away thinking,
“I don’t want to get my hopes up.”
How often do you long for more?
Do you feel impoverished,
or do you feel called to do…or be…more?
Maybe it’s more true in possessing things
that Seneca was right. But isn’t it possible
God is calling you to be more, to do more?
But answering a call to be more,
to do more, isn’t really wanting more
but being willing to accept the responsibility
of being more, of giving more?
If you’re comfortable where you are
then being willing to accept more
to be more is service, not lust,
willingness, not poverty!
God, don’t let me avoid your call
when it is your call. As Isaiah said,
“Here I am, Lord, send me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment