Tuesday, January 26, 2021

God's Here

 

I was one of those people who prayed regularly for God to remove the fat and allow me to continue overeating. I prayed for the day to be different, not understanding the concept that taking the first bite triggered the disease. I also ate secretly, making sure everyone was out of the house so that I could eat. ~ Overeaters Anonymous, Voices of Recovery, page 25. (with thanks to my Monday OA Clutch for inspiration)

God hadn’t gone to bed when others had,
nor could I avoid His presence
eating “alone” in the car.
It’s like He was standing around,
arms crossed, waiting for my admission
that I needed help. And the help He gave me
was a book, Overeaters Anonymous, 2nd Edition.
I read it, cover to cover, and knew I belonged.
I committed to go…once Christmas was past!
(You don’t start a diet in December!!)
But Sunday morning, December 17th,
I walked from a convenience store,
cappuccino and sweet-roll in hand,
got into the car and said aloud to God,
“This is stupid!” I suddenly knew you did
start a diet in December. I researched online,
found a friend listed as a contact for OA
and consider that Sunday my first day in OA.
Sure enough, God didn’t go to bed,
nor could I avoid His presence
“alone.” Before I got to a meeting,
I had fallen on Christmas Eve,
flown to London on the 27th,
and contacted worldwide friends
from internet cafes every chance I got,
and been the only one at a meeting
one snowy morning! God’s been with me,
guiding me, ever since…more than thirteen years!



No comments:

Post a Comment