Friday, October 2, 2020

Forgetting What I Know

 

I have always tried my best to let wisdom guide my thoughts and actions. I said to myself, “I am determined to be wise.” But it didnʼt work. Wisdom is always distant and difficult to find. I searched everywhere, determined to find wisdom and to understand the reason for things. I was determined to prove to myself that wickedness is stupid and that foolishness is madness. ~ Ecclesiastes 7.23-25 (New Living Translation)

We may with advantage
at times forget what we know.*
My head gets in the way,
wants to control,
wants to dictate,
demands at least to sit as lifeguard
to watch over what God does in me,
to me,
as though I had more sense,
as though I could manage me
or anything else.
I don’t understand this stuff,
this living.
I need to act as if I do
while God takes the reins
and carries me beyond
my wildest dreams.

God, help me forget what I know,
to make room for believing
what I cannot fathom.

*Publilius Syrus

No comments:

Post a Comment