Saturday, August 25, 2018

Stepping Stones

A first cautious step
wondering what this
is all about but hopeless,
and these folk seem to know me
inside out. It can't be worse.
They talk about power
that can when I can't.
Another careful step.
They say "Let him,
or her or it, your choice.
A step further.
They say to write a list.
things you fear,
people who hurt you.
Sure! I forge ahead
then Stop! They want me to tell!
A baby step, but not so bad...
Get ready, not so hard,
the sixth stone.
Then get rid of bad habits.
Not really comfortable, but done.
List people I owe apologies?
An uncomfortable step
to stand on but I expected worse.
The last three stepping stones
seem well worn.
Crowds of people
long before me have worn them smooth
using them day after day
year after year. And at the end of the
stepping stones the scenery
so much better, my footing so secure...
why did I ever hesitate to start?


No comments:

Post a Comment