Friday, December 15, 2017

In Contrast

23 Pride ends in humiliation,
    while humility brings honor...
 25 Fearing people is a dangerous trap,
    but trusting the Lord means safety. ~ Proverbs 29:23, 25 (NLT)
Pride ends in humiliation, which sounds like humility
but isn't. Humiliation is to reduce someone to a lower position
in their understanding or that of someone else; to make  ashamed;
to mortify. How much better is humility which brings honor?
Humiliate and humble share the Latin root meaning bring low.
The word came down as humus, too, natural material, leaves, matter,
returning to nature — the root meaning, soil.
The difference in humiliation and humility reverberates
as the first being smashed down, losing all respectability, being shamed,
ashamed, subjugated to bashing, minimization...as compared to
humble as natural, modest, unpretentious. Humility brings honor.
Pride leads to involuntary humiliation. But there's a remedy.
Voluntary humility which brings honor.
Fearing people is a trap...one I've been caught in for years.
Now, though, the way out stands before me offering serenity.
It is possible to end my fear of people, easy beyond belief.
I need simply trust in my Higher Power, and I find myself safe,
freed from my habit of fearing people.


No comments:

Post a Comment