Thursday, April 27, 2017

Ojalá Que Sí!

Oh how I wish it were so!
But what specifically do I regret?
Too early deaths, Mary Ellen,
Jonathon, others not so close to me,
and could I have prevented them,
I would have, but I could not.
It took a few careers to figure out
what to be when I grew up,
but each of them contributed,
made me who I am. It took years
to find Recovery, and would that
my Recovery had been more diligent,
but sixty years of habits don't vanish
in the blink of an eye. I could name 
a few hundred lies I'm told myself
and others and more I've lived
pretending things didn't hurt.
After thirty-seven years of marriage
I left, returned eleven months later;
I could regret either or both decisions.
Perhaps the largest regret was telling secrets
not mine to tell, but all in all, I agree 
with Old Blue Eyes, my regrets
aren't worth discussing. 
I've done alright, my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment