Saturday, May 12, 2012

First Do No Harm


Be certain he will be welcomed by your family, and that he is not trying to impose upon you for money, connections, or shelter. Permit that and you only harm him. You will be making it possible for him to be insincere. You may be aiding in his destruction rather than his recovery. (Alcoholics Anonymous, pages 96-97)
Like the Lone Ranger
I gallop to the rescue, oblivious,
ignoring your desire to do it yourself.
Selfless, I throw my self into your business
to help, to mend, to soothe.
You really don’t do it that way,
let me do it better, cleaner, quicker,
allow me to show you how.
No, get out of the way, you don’t understand.
Just turn it over to me.
You know, though, I’m darned tired
of carrying the load for you.
Can’t you do ANYTHING?

No comments:

Post a Comment