Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just the Hug

They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks - drinks which they see others taking with impunity. (Alcoholics Anonymous, "The Doctor's Opinion")
Powerless, I lie imploring power.
Loving arms lift me, hug me,
dry me, feed my empty stomach,
speak soft words, wrap me warmly,
hold me as I fall asleep, content
in the loving hug.

Powerless, I scurry to meet my needs,
buy prizes, eat things, seek out crowds
seeming to have the illusive answers.
Powerlessness expands as I repeat
and find the same results for repeated acts.
Then I learn, it's not the food, not the things,
not the pacifiers I try. I'm looking
for the hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment