Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Perfectionism

Perfectionism gets in the way of recovery because it imposes impossible, unrealistic goals which guarantee failure. If we do not think we have to be perfect, then we can accept our mistakes as learning experiences and be willing to try again. ~ L., Elisabeth. Food for Thought: Daily Meditations for Overeaters (Hazelden Meditations Book 1) . Hazelden Publishing. Kindle Edition.
I can't say perfectionism is a trait of mine. Well of course, I edit your proper...or less than... use of the English language often aloud talking to the television, but mentally in conversation. I'd like to claim perfection  in how I work the program or in knowing the proper response. But I fail miserably. In my clearer moments I know well that Elizabeth is correct that, "Perfectionism gets in the way of recovery because it imposes impossible, unrealistic goals which guarantee failure. If we do not think we have to be perfect, then we can accept our mistakes as learning experiences and be willing to try again." Lord, I am willing. Make it true that I'm willing to try again, and again, and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment