Saturday, June 4, 2022

As Soon as the Holidays Are over

I read the book, a gift from my counselor long a member of AA but not so with OA. She ordered it, believing Overeaters Anonymous, 2nd edition, the equivalent of Alcoholics Anonymous, 5th edition. It was like the stories, but not the explanation. So I read the stories, all 31, tales of people like me, addicted to food used as a drug, making our lives insane! I read the book, knew I belonged... but it was December! Who "starts a diet" before New Year's Day? Not me! Then December 17th, my hands filled with sweet treats, I talked aloud, said to God, "This is stupid!" He didn't disagree. So I found an online group, got a sponsor, made new friends, and became a member. I did what needed to be done, falling on Christmas Eve, flying to London three days later, in serious pain, finding internet cafes and reporting to OA people from there. I never got a newcomer chip but will complete fifteen years in OA December 17th this year. And when the holidays end, I'll still be a compulsive overeater in Recovery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment