Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Way to Love

“I want the loved person to grow and unfold for his own sake, and in his own ways, and not for the purpose of serving me.” ~ Erich Fromm
Codependent. Excessive emotional
or psychological reliance on a partner,
typically a partner who requires support
due to an illness or addiction.
How can I be of service? How can I help?
Can I relieve your burdens? I don't want you
to be unhappy, to feel like I put myself
ahead of you. You seem so miserable,
like nothing can make you happy.
Shall I wait on you, be your butler,
your valet, your waitress, your laundress?
You may think you want all that...
but it's neither what I need to do
nor actually how you would like you or me to be.
I promise to love you, to want the best for you
but to respect you...and me...enough
to let you be the best that you can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment