Saturday, July 26, 2014

My Top Priority

I am my top priority. By keeping the focus on myself, I let go of other people's problems and can better cope with my own. ~ Courage to Change, page 203
Isn't it selfish to think of me first?
I've always heard to put God first,
others next, and me third
and I've done a good job of that...
trying to make everybody else happy,
setting them as a priority, striving to please...
though why does it not make them happy?
Why do I feel so abused when I put myself out
and they are dumb enough to believe
I've been thinking only of myself?
Co-dependent they call it.
Excessive emotional or psychological reliance
on a partner, typically one who requires support
due to an illness or addiction.
I don't stop with one, though...
I can be codependent with everyone I meet.
Maybe, though, sometime I can learn
I make everyone miserable, including myself,
when I try my hardest. Should I actually admit
I might do better if I change my top priority
to someone who know what I feel like when I'm happy?
Should I be my own top priority?
first-priority

No comments:

Post a Comment