Sunday, December 16, 2012

Never Exclusive

To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men. ~ Alcoholics Anonymous, page 46
I sit in a sanctuary as a praise band practices,
playing familiar Christmas tunes
but with harmonies and cadences
heretical in my youth. They touch my spirit,
pulling me in, igniting my soul, preparing,
cleansing my heart for worship and for Christmas
as nothing has for years...
In a society where a "religious holiday"
can be the stated justification for shallow crowds
on holy days, we need our hearts strangely warmed.
May we learn to learn and to worship and hear guidance
in fresh ways, from unexpected grace.
May we understand our god is inclusive,
welcoming, never prohibiting, embracing seekers,
never ever excluding.
2012-12-15_17-17-57_234

No comments:

Post a Comment