Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Trouble Is Thinking

Whatever the precise definition of the word may be, we call this plain insanity. How can such a lack of proportion, of the ability to think straight, be called anything else? 
You may think this an extreme case. To us it is not far-fetched, for this kind of thinking has been characteristic of every single one of us. (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 37)
Justification is a simple exercise
in validating my yens and yearnings
when voices in my head argue I’m playing
stinking thinking games. I can solve most problems,
but most of the time my solutions
are worse than the problem. I often find
things that I think are true, I made up.
When I’m explaining it to you I’m hearing it,
and when I’m hearing it, I’m believing it.
I’ve lived my life trying to think my way
into right living. That’s never worked for me.
Using the steps, I can live my way into right thinking.
But until then, the trouble is thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment