Monday, March 9, 2015

The Other Side of the Bridge

I can resist going to the other side. I remember how men treated me when I was thin... When I stay stuck I don’t ever have to feel those feelings. ~ Jhe T
Our addictions begin as comfort,
as solace, as relief from the world,
as a marvelous discovery of the way,
seemingly the only way to relieve pain.
They grow into a tool, tried-and-true,
a habitual way of seeking that comfort
we once found. They they morph again
into a retreat, a hideaway, a denial,
an escape from life as we know it.
Finally they're a prison we would leave
if we could, or so we tell ourselves.
Then along comes someone, some busybody,
someone in recovery and point to a bridge.
A way out. An escape. It's what we've wanted,
what we desired above all else. But we look.
We see there's no substance or action
that brings us comfort, that's a tool
or a retreat, a prison. Life as we know it
isn't there. It's here. And we fear the bridge,
the way out, even more than we fear
living here in the prison we built.
bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment