Monday, January 29, 2018

Excuse Us?

In the past, excusing ourselves of all responsibility prevented us from being blamed. We have learned that it also prevented us from feeling worthy, from fulfilling our potential, from feeling the excitement that comes with achievement. ~ Casey, Karen. Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women (Kindle Locations 325-327). Hazelden Publishing. 
It's not my fault. He made me do it.
She made me feel this way.
I did the best I could.
If you had just listened to me...
All my life I've avoided being blamed.
Maybe I did that on purpose.
Surely I did it so my heart and head
would stop hurting, so I could feel
worthy...at least not unworthy...
but it didn't work. Instead I felt nothing,
stumbled through life in a muddle,
inert, static, uncomfortable,
stagnant, inert.
But I was not blameless,
not innocent, sometimes
I was at fault. But stopping the lies.
the ones I told you, him, her, me...
I learned how to feel, how to enjoy,
how to fly, how to be worthy,
to have no need to be excused.

No comments:

Post a Comment