Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Conviction Contrition Confession

Where does it start, the surrender?
Is it conviction? Standing accused,
confronted with evidence,
proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt?
Is it contrition? Remorse, penitence,
regret? Is it confession, the recitation
of wrongs, of sins, of embarrassments,
of shame? O my God, I am heartily sorry
for having offended Thee,
and I detest all my sins
because of Thy just punishments,
but most of all because they offend Thee,
my God, Who art all-good
and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace,
to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.

Where does it start the turning to God?
Came to believe a power greater than ourselves
could restore us to sanity? Made a decision
to turn our will and our lives over
to the power of God as we understand him?
It doesn't matter where it begins. God waits for us,
welcomes us, embraces us, loves us in
and we come home where we've forgotten
how to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment