Friday, March 9, 2012

Worse than Sticks and Stones


Not one hurtful thing about me that hit my ears has ever left my mind. (Travis Cottrell, Surprised By Worship)
You hurt me, don't you recall?
In 1982 – On Golden Pond.How can you have forgotten
what you said that day? I never will.
I play it in my mind each morning,
again when I see you or someone says your name.
I know you apologized the next day,
called early, shed tears, or so it seemed.
But I stoke the coals, keep the bitter burning,
evoke contempt at your vile words.
Others may perceive a kindly gentle man
but I know better, hold you in contempt
and know you'll never be as sweet as me.
And while resentments broil, who can blame me
should I keep a few behaviors to comfort me,
to make up for all the hurt you've caused me
through these years? It's your fault, you know,
this program doesn't work...

No comments:

Post a Comment