Saturday, January 26, 2019

Look at the Right Person

Sometimes he even seems to pour the breakfast cereal wrong! Although it’s important for me to learn to recognize and protect myself from unacceptable behavior, that’s not always what is going on. When I catch myself watching and criticizing every little detail of his behavior, I can use this as a signal that something is going on with me that I’ve missed or discounted. ~ Family Groups, Al-Anon. Courage to Change—One Day at a Time in Al‑Anon II . Al-Anon Family Groups. Kindle Edition.

We in the rooms of Recovery got here
specifically because we were powerless
over our addiction but also because
we could not manage our own life,
That did not mean, though, we did not try
to change the lives of others, especially
those of people closest to us. Of course
we also offered advice for strangers
met in passing...and everyone in between.
Early we took the words Reinhold Niebuhr
wrote praying for wisdom to know
what we could or could not change...
ignoring three-fourths of it,
adopting it as our own!
Most of us know, though,
what we can change is us,
what we cannot is everybody else
but we often choose not to discern
what that difference is.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

And remind me to remember
and to act on it!
Reinhold Niebuhr 

No comments:

Post a Comment