Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Lessons from Relationships

Some relationships trigger healing in us—healing from issues of the past or an issue we’re facing today. Sometimes we find ourselves learning the most important lessons from the people we least expect to help us. Relationships may teach us about loving ourselves or someone else. Or maybe we’ll learn to let others love us. ~ Beattie, Melody. The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series (p. 323). Hazelden Publishing. Kindle Edition.
Maybe in a relationship
you can teach me to let you love me.
Or to let other people love me.
Unlikely friends. A woman
whose mind no longer grasps the real.
But lessons learned assure me
if she could love me I'm worth the stretch
to let me love myself.
Unlikely friends. A woman born
eight time zones away. Similar educations
but opposite lives. A language barrier
when both speak English.
If she can love me but hate my drawl,
I can love me and deal with speech issues
newly acquired and unpleasant to acknowledge.
A woman sixteen years my senior
when I feel old, worn out, used up
but she helps me understand
that physical problems
leave plenty of assets to love.
Relationships may teach us
about loving ourselves
and I've learned to.


No comments:

Post a Comment