Monday, December 19, 2016

The Next Time You See Me

My home office will be a mess…
all the more so than It is today.
which is substantially.
I’ll have started on the task list
I made, added to, shaped up yesterday.
I’ll have done ten things
that needed to be done before now.
I’ll have not eaten sugar for more than
a dozen weeks, plus.
I’ll claim ownership to nothing
at the courthouse, even
the roll of gift-wrap paper
I left five years ago and it seems yet untouched.
I’ll hold dear new friends made
the past fifteen months, new memories
of decades-long friends,
gratitude galore for kindnesses done,
but also for time to rebuild myself
to relearn typing, to write and create,
to build the me I want to be.
I’ll remain as passionate about
twelve-step programs as I’ve been for a decade.
The next time you see me,
I’ll be retired again.

No comments:

Post a Comment