Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Sincerely

None of us can follow this way of life perfectly, but we find that our success in recovery and our freedom from food obsession are in direct proportion to how sincerely we try to live in this manner. ~ The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous (Kindle Locations 308-309). 
Freedom from obsession is in direct proportion
to how sincerely we try to live in this manner.
This is not speaking of sincerely as "a formula
used to end a letter, typically a formal one
in which the recipient is addressed by name."
We don't state our list of rationalizations
then tack on, "I'm sincere about this. Amen!
Now fix it." No, this is, "God, I know the way
to do this, you've shown me how it works.
And if I'm not speaking genuinely, honestly, really,
truthfully, wholeheartedly, earnestly, fervently,
then please grab hold of me and make your will mine.
I've tried it my way and screwed it up for years.
Teach me to shut up and understand you're willing
to take the helm, to sail this ship home, and
keep my hands off things unless I'm in your will, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment