Friday, March 26, 2021

Not Needing Attention from Others

 Not needing attention from others is far different than not wanting someone’s attention. Being dependent on getting someone’s attention holds us hostage to every relationship and situation we find ourselves in. It doesn’t allow us to work in equal partnership with others. It doesn’t free us to be who we are in the moment. We will be on guard to be who we think we need to be in order to stay in the good graces of our “captor.” We are not really living when that’s our path. ~ Casey, Karen. Let Go Now (p. 62). Mango Media. Kindle Edition.

Do you want attention from someone else?
I do. Some days I get it. Usually these days
I get at least a thank you, often with “very much” tacked on.
Do I need attention from someone else?
Not really. These days I’m aware he knows
I do lots for him he could/should do for himself…
Does it feel good when my help is acknowledged?
Of course. I can acknowledge I’m going above and beyond real needs.
Not needing attention from others is far different
than not wanting someone’s attention.
But I’m not in need of appreciation.
I can acknowledge I’m going the extra mile!

Image Copyright : Mykola Kravchenko


No comments:

Post a Comment