Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Benevolent, Not Malevolent

At first my Higher Power looked like my sponsor. Then he looked like me. Then, like a kind old man with a big beard. My Higher Power has always been a loving Higher Power. My sponsor told me, “You can choose anything you want, God should can choose anything you want, but it’s got to be benevolent, not malevolent.” So I started to develop a Higher Power that was sort of a spirit of the universe, and if I was in touch with that flow then I would go the easy way and good things would happen. ~ Anonymous, Overeaters. Overeaters Anonymous, Second Edition . Overeaters Anonymous. Kindle Edition.

Father, we do not know the way to You. But we have called, and You have answered us. We will not interfere. Salvation’s ways are not our own, for they belong to You. And it is unto You we look for them. Our hands are open to receive Your gifts. We have no thoughts we think apart from You, and cherish no beliefs of what we are, or Who created us. Yours is the way that we would find and follow. And we ask but that Your Will, which is our own as well, be done in us and in the world, that it become a part of Heaven now. Amen. ~ Schucman, Dr. Helen. A Course in Miracles. Foundation for Inner Peace. Kindle Edition.

We come into Recovery and,
like Ebby talking to Bill W.
at the nascent moment of Recovery
We’re told, “Why don’t you choose
your own conception of God?
Some come fearing God,
believing in a bogieman instead.
I like the advice, “choose anything
you want, but it’s got to be
benevolent, not malevolent.”
Look. Watch. See the people around you.
See the healing they have found.
Then discover your own faith,
your own belief, your own healing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment