Wednesday, May 9, 2018

When Words Can't Reach Us

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? (Galatians 3:2 NIV)
If there was a Devil, he seemed the Boss of the Universal, and he certainly had me. But my friend sat before me, and he made the point blank declaration that God had done for him what he could not do for himself. His human will had failed. Doctors had pronounced him incurable. Society was about to lock him up. Like myself, he had admitted complete defeat. Then he had, in effect, been raised from the dead, suddenly taken from the scrap heap to a level of life better than the best he had ever known! Had this power originated in him? Obviously it had not. There had been no more power in him than there was in me at that minute; and this was none at all. (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 11)
“Words, words, words,
I so sick of words!”
We knew when we got to Recovery
all the words we needed.
Perhaps we had heard those very words
but this time they came
wrapped in evidence
sufficient yo convince
our jury of one.
We came, powerless
over our insanity,
our whole lives unmanageable.
But our kindred spirits
had something worth having…
hope!
Thank you, God, for showing us
Recovery, for knowing
words could not hold our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment