Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Acknowledging the Disease

As long as we refuse to recognize that we have this debilitating and ultimately fatal disease, we are not motivated to get the daily treatment for it which brings about our recovery. Denial of the truth leads to destruction. ~ Anonymous, Overeaters. The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous (Kindle Locations 114-116). Overeaters Anonymous, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
A disease? Sure, I know that.
I see in "The Doctor's Opinion"
the similarities between my behavior
and that of alcoholics. And the literature
of Overeaters Anonymous assumes it true,
describing it as threefold: a disease of the mind,
the body and the spirit. A psychiatrist,
a bariatric surgeon and a minister
make the case. But do I believe it?
REALLY? If I do, why do I fight it?
The First Step in the OA 12 and 12 declares,
"Most of us have tried to deny to ourselves
that we have this disease." but argues
we realize we're not normal...we have this disease.
Does denial of the disease really lead to destruction?
Let's consider the expert opinions for the next three days.


No comments:

Post a Comment