Sunday, February 5, 2017

Restored to Sanity

I feel a calmness and a confidence that produce realistic expectations under adversity. Now that’s sanity. ~Voices of Recovery (Kindle Locations 455-456).
The program talks of coming to believe
a Power greater than I could restore me to sanity?
What?? Sure, I can see I'm powerless over food
and that the remainder of my life
had passed the point of my being able to manage it.
But how could those two statements define me
as insane? Insanity: a severely disordered
state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder.
I've looked at the DSM's specific disorders and they're not me!
Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar and Related Disorder, Disruptive,
Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders, Dissociative Disorders,
Feeding and Eating Disorders -- oops!!
Surely that's not really one.
Neurocognitive Disorders
Neurodevelopmental Disorders
Personality Disorders
Sleep-Wake Disorders
Somatic Symptoms and Related Disorders
Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorders
Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorders,
Dissociative Disorders...
In legal settings insanity is
unsoundness of mind
or lack of the ability to understand
that prevents one from having
the mental capacity required by law
to enter into a particular relationship,
status, or transaction
or that releases one from criminal or civil responsibility.
So just how did I need to be restored to sanity?
If it really means feeling
calmness and confidence
that produce realistic expectations
under adversity... that I needed,
and I'll accept that marvelous promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment