Friday, August 24, 2018

Trust God and Clean House

I heard someone in the Program once read, “Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well, regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house.” That is what Step Seven means to me—that I’m going to clean house and will have all the help I need. ~ Anonymous. A Day at a Time: Daily Reflections for Recovering People (Hazelden Meditations) (Kindle Locations 2306-2308). Hazelden Publishing.
Trust God and clean house?
I must admit at this point
the cleaning house is more intimidating.
Removing roomsful of clutter physically
in trying to empty office space is tough,
but the psychological clutter is as bad.
Sorting through thirty years of correspondence,
journals, notes to and from me,
emotional debris I've grown through
but hurtful still. But Step Seven!
It's not my issue. I've already become
entirely ready, and my part
remains as passive relief...
"I pray that You now remove from me
every single defect of character
which stands in the way of my usefulness
to You and my fellows.
Grant me strength,
as I go out from here, to do Your bidding."
Amen, so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment