Friday, August 19, 2016

Suffering Is a Choice

I also know that suffering, unlike pain, can be a choice.  Pain, whether it be of the head, lung or stomach, must run its course until real healing has occurred. Suffering, on the other hand, is a matter of perspective. ~ Cate Stevens
Who would choose to suffer?
No, thank you. My knees hurt.
They have for years.The cause
is rheumatoid arthritis.Recently,
events have exacerbated the pain.
Instead of getting to the gym five
days out of seven, I avoid
the sunken living room and when I can't,
I groan as I step down. At least
when someone's around. The pain is minor.
The groan is machination, even if unmindful.
Who would choose to suffer?Anybody
wanting the world's notice
of the grievous discrepancy. Pain happens
and can feel excessive, unjust,
when I'm stuck in self, when you need to know
my pain, my suffering, my unjust burden.
But when I choose not to suffer,
when I claim serenity and recognize
what I can't change, suffering ends
and gratitude can find a place in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment