Friday, April 29, 2016

A Team Player

I also learned in program that I am enough. When a sports team manager assembles a team, he or she looks to combine a number of players into a single unit. The manager does not expect a group of perfect players who play perfectly every time; rather, the manager collects individuals with different strengths who will complement the team as a whole. The manager wants every player’s unique touch when that touch is especially needed. ~ Overeaters Anonymous, Third Edition (Kindle Locations 1185-1188).
I'm seldom alone, and when I am, it's by choice.
I can always find people. I can't always find myself.
I have strengths. But I'm so glad people around me
have others, complementary, accessorizing, or the main thing.
Others remember names, correct me when I screw up dates,
remind me to do what I intended to do...and forgot.
It would be boring if everyone had the skills I have...
and scary, because who would do the math?
It's maddening when I forget to ask for help
and believe myself overwhelmed, while all around
are folks who would be honored to do a share.
I have talents. I have weaknesses. Others are weak
when my strength shines. Still more can simply do
what I spend hours doing and am embarrassed by the result.
I am not the alpha and the omega. I can do a decent job
of J's, of D's. Of these, not those. I can do my part
and be part of the team. I cannot be the team and leave all others
to be the cheering section. Because when I try, I don't win.
AlphaOmega

No comments:

Post a Comment